Institute of Tropical Medicine Pedro Kourí
The Pedro Kouri Institute (IPK) is a Cuban scientific institution, internationally recognized for the numerous relevant results and awards obtained by its researchers.
In addition, one of its Laboratories constitutes a WHO Collaborating Center and, at the national level, is the highest authority in the following disciplines: Microbiology, Parasitology, Tropical Medicine as well as Clinical and Epidemiology of Communicable Diseases.
Founded in 1937 by Professor Pedro Kouri, the international recognition achieved by the IPK is based on the high qualification of its scientific staff.
Institute of Tropical Medicine "Pedro Kourí" IPK brings together highly qualified professionals who make up a multidisciplinary team for the comprehensive care of patients. The IPK, with eight decades of experience, complements the specialized clinical care with national reference laboratories, equipped with the latest technology and collaborating with the World Health Organization.
Research, medical care and teaching are the three pillars on which the prestige achieved by the IPK is based, in charge of monitoring the epidemiological situation of Cuba, providing the tools for the prevention, detection and treatment of infectious diseases throughout the America, the Caribbean and the world, as well as the training of highly qualified medical personnel for Cuba and the world.
Promote and develop scientific research and innovation for the prevention, control and elimination of infectious diseases, which guarantee specialized services and high technology for epidemiological surveillance, diagnosis and medical attention, with a view to improving the quality of life of the Cuban population and the rest of the international community.
We are an institution of international scope, composed of competent personnel with high performance, which continuously improves its technology and its services to face communicable diseases and meet the needs of the population and its own workers.Objetivos Generales del IPK.
Protect the population against communicable diseases, preventing their spread and participating in the diagnosis, control and elimination.
Maintain scientific exchange links in the field of their specialty with institutions in other countries, helping Third World countries in the fight against communicable diseases.
Contribute to the development of Biomedical Sciences in general and Microbiology, Parasitology, Epidemiology and Infectology in particular.
Provide a highly qualified medical assistance to HIV / AIDS patients and other communicable diseases as the National Clinical Reference Center
- Perform basic and applied research in the field of infectious diseases (viral, bacterial, parasitic and fungal) in correspondence with the health picture of the Cuban population
- Propose and once approved, develop national and international scientific and academic exchange through collaborative projects, consultancies and joint activities
- Provide specialized medical care services in the field of infectious diseases, act as a National Reference Center in the treatment of people with HIV / AIDS, conduct and evaluate treatment with antiretrovirals.
- Provide teaching and academic services in the area of ??tropical medicine, infectology, bacteriology-mycology, virology, parasitology, epidemiology and entomology for the formation of resources in the country and other countries according to current regulations.
- Commercialize scientific and technical events in any of its modalities of national and international character
- Design, validate, introduce and transfer new technologies in the National Network of Laboratories and other institutions. Act as the headquarters for national reference laboratories for human pathogens.
- Advise and participate in epidemiological, microbiological and parasitic clinical surveillance in the field of infectious diseases and the confrontation of health emergencies
- Conduct surveillance of adverse events to vaccination and develop and validate vaccine candidates, medications, diagnostic means, medical technology and conduct licensing studies for medicines and vaccines
- Propose and once approved, prepare and sign memorandum of understanding, letters of intent and agreements between national and international institutions regarding research protocols, medical assistance, and teaching in infectious diseases, according to current regulations
- Develop health promotion and education activities aimed at workers, students, patients, companions, visitors and society in general linked to the specialty
- Carry out surveillance and hygienic-epidemiological control of the center and its environment, as well as alerting the corresponding levels and participating in the confrontation of the epidemiological situations detected.
- Commercialize scientific-technical services and technological innovation, provide medical attention specialized in infectious diseases and undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, as well as the production activity to guarantee the diagnosis of infectious diseases.
Among the current topics investigated and discussed are:
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Intestinal parasitism
- AIDS, its clinical-epidemiological and therapeutic aspects
- Study on dengue and Aedes aegypti
- Validation of human vaccines
- Epidemic neuropathy
- Advanced technologies for the diagnosis of communicable diseases and others.
It also has a hospital with 170 beds for patients suffering from communicable diseases.
It provides advice on infectology to all medical units in the country and is integrated into the screening activities of exotic diseases in travelers from endemic areas.
In the IPK you can find the therapy for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV / AIDS, Toxoplasmosis and infectious and parasitic diseases in general.
Pedro Kourí Institute of Tropical Medicine